Dr Janet Beilby’s specialised expertise in the assessment, treatment and management of stuttering disorders spans 35 years. Her professional and academic background includes employment in the School of Psychology and Speech Pathology, Curtin University and clinical private practice for over 33 years. In this time she has:
- been a specialist advisor to Speech Pathology Australia on stuttering disorders and established a private practice for the exclusive treatment of stuttering disorders across the lifespan.
- lectured in a range of areas including child psychology, professional and medico-legal issues, speech and hearing sciences and the specialty area of stuttering disorders.
- supervised undergraduate and postgraduate research in stuttering disorders.
- conducted regular and ongoing professional continuing education locally, nationally and internationally in the area of assessment and management of stuttering disorders.
- been awarded commendations including the National Children’s Week award for outstanding services to children of Western Australia who stutter.
- currently hold chief investigator status on a large competitive grant addressing the needs of individuals who stutter in Western Australia.
Dr Beilby is an editorial reviewer for the Journal of Fluency Disorders and has published extensively in the area of psychosocial issues and stuttering.